Wednesday, September 23, 2009

I'm Haunted

I could write here about my most recent run that felt great and safe and made me feel free from adulthood. But instead I am haunted by the stories of my dear friends the Clay's who are working with orphans in Haiti. "Almost every day I am forced with the decision of whether to send a street kid home to no food so that I can have dinner with my family, or whether to let him stay and not know whether there will be enough food for our household of 10 this month." These words from Shelley haunted me as I ran tonight. They should haunt me. They should haunt us all.

Then another friend sent me an email just randomly..."I command you - be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go. Joshua 1:9" and our preacher just preached on "Blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted." Are we to go to Haiti and help the helpless too? For how long? Would it really comfort? I feel like someone I loved has died. How self serving this American world his with its gym memberships and running clubs and TVs and fast food while orphans are abandoned to die at trash heaps in Haiti.

Visit: This website to help!

No comments: